Home | Case Studies |Hydraulic Power Unit (HPU) & Subsea Well Control Panel
CASE STUDY 6:
Hydraulic Power Unit (HPU) & Subsea Well Control Panel Case
HCS were originally commissioned to build a production HPU to operationally support five wells from an FPSO operating in West Africa.
Six years later, there was a decision to add an additional well. The client commissioned the design and build of an extension unit as well as the manufacture of a bespoke TUTU.
Our site survey identified environmental challenges. Due to the original HPU’s position adjacent to the flares rack it had to withstand the radiant heat from the flare in addition to the climatic conditions. The standard operating temperatures were continuously more than 50 degrees Celsius.
HCS provided a turnkey solution for this project, including design, procurement, manufacture and testing before shipping overseas. Subsequently, in Africa, an HCS installation crew completed a full integration and FAT test of all equipment on the vessel. The project was completed on time and budget for the client. The client continues to use our services to conduct essential maintenance and testing of equipment at regular intervals.
Key elements of the project specification include:
- Zone 1 Hazardous Area.
- Gas Group II B.
- Temperature Class T3 and saliferous exposure environment.
- 5 populated well slots for controlling 10 functional hydraulics. This is done through a series of manual and solenoid-operated hydraulic selector valves, regulators and needle valves.
- Comprehensive visual alarm system.
- HPU : generation of:
- a raw 3,150 psig (217 barg) hydraulic supply, test lines and common return.
- Well Control Panel: generation of:
- a raw 7,700 psig (531 barg) hydraulic supply, test lines and common return.
- Hydraulic accumulated storage capacity of both LP and HP pressure.